24 April 2013

A favorite handmade gift for baby


My mom and grandma refer to babies as "little bits".  I love making these bibs as gifts for new babies and their mamas.  It's my Buster Bib pattern in the small size. (Sorry, I'm not currently selling anything right now.)

I've refined my process for making these...and added some fun details, too.

I put them together using a "quilt as you go" method.  This bib was made for a mama who didn't find out the gender of her babe.  I had fun pulling out green and yellow scraps.  :)


Before I get too far ahead of myself, I'll quilt about half way down the fabric and add a monogram to the other side.  (The bibs are reversible.)


 Once the monogram is sewn on, I then continue the quilting on the reverse side.


 Next step is to trace the pattern piece onto the little quilt sandwich, cut out, and then bind the bib.


 Here are two of my latest creations, for little E and little L.  Didn't they turn out cute?


I particularly loved the happy bias-cut stripey binding.  It still makes me happy.  :)


These bibs are reversible, so the buttons are sewn back to back on both sides.  I felt like I was being  pretty clever when I came up with that one!

What about you?  Do you have a go-to gift you like to make for new little bits?

8 happy thoughts:

Design Esquire said...

Those are adorable! You are so talented. Did I tell you I'm pregnant with my first? I'm due in July and super excited. I've been pinning so many sewing projects for the baby - we'll see how many I get done before July! I'm adding this one to the list! I hope you've been well. Christine

traci said...

They are so cute, especially the one with the strips. It almost makes you hope that they stay clean, which we know cannot happen with a bib.

Kate said...

Love, love, love. But then you know why.

Melissa said...

Sweetness - I am so glad to see you -

Tasha said...

It is truly my favorite bib too!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I get compliments on it all the time. Oh, how I love it.

Tasha said...

It is truly my favorite bib too!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I get compliments on it all the time. Oh, how I love it.

Unknown said...

Bibs make great baby gifts! So easy to personalize and make lickety-split. Great way to use scraps too, like you've done here!

Unknown said...

I desire to get this adorable bib too, and own them place in my wish list of baby gifts for my friend's baby shower. It's good to know that this baby bibs are reversible too. This might be the reason why there are a lot of mothers that love making and sewing bibs in different means of technique because bibs are just so lovely.

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to stop by. Kind words are always welcome.

Print
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...